Nursery admission interviews can be a daunting experience for both parents and children. International schools are known for their rigorous admission procedures, which may include interviews. Here are some key points to keep in mind while preparing for nursery admission interviews at international schools.
- Research the school: Before applying to any international school, it is essential to do thorough research. Look up the school’s website, social media pages, and read about their values and educational philosophy. This will help you understand what the school expects from its students and give you an idea of the type of questions that might be asked during the interview.
- Prepare your child: It is important to prepare your child for the interview. Explain to them why they are going to the interview and what they can expect. Roleplay with your child and practice answering common questions like their name, age, and interests. Make sure your child is well-rested and has had a good meal before the interview.
- Dress appropriately: The first impression is the last impression. Dress your child in clean and comfortable clothes. Avoid dressing them in outfits that are too flashy or revealing. Ensure that they are well-groomed and have a neat hairstyle.
- Be punctual: Arrive at the school well before the scheduled time of the interview. Being punctual will help you avoid unnecessary stress and give you time to settle down and prepare your child for the interview.
- Be honest: During the interview, it is important to be honest about your child’s abilities and interests. Avoid exaggerating your child’s achievements or abilities, as this may backfire later. Be truthful about your child’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Show interest in the school: Make sure you show a genuine interest in the school and its programs. Ask questions about the curriculum, teaching methodologies, extracurricular activities, and facilities. This will demonstrate your commitment to your child’s education and give the school a positive impression of you and your child.
- Be confident: Confidence is key during the interview. Encourage your child to speak confidently and clearly. Avoid speaking for your child or interrupting them. Make eye contact with the interviewer and maintain a positive attitude throughout the interview.
- Showcase your child’s personality: International schools are not just looking for academic excellence but also for students with unique personalities. Encourage your child to showcase their interests and hobbies during the interview. This will help the school understand your child’s personality and interests.
- Be prepared for follow-up questions: The interviewer may ask follow-up questions based on your child’s answers. Be prepared to answer these questions truthfully and confidently. Don’t hesitate to ask the interviewer to repeat the question if you don’t understand it.
- Stay calm: It is natural to feel nervous during the interview. Take deep breaths and try to stay calm. Remind yourself that the interviewer is not there to judge you or your child but to understand your child’s abilities and interests.
Conclusion: Nursery admission interviews at international schools can be a stressful experience, but with proper preparation, you can make it a smooth and successful one. Remember to research the school, prepare your child, dress appropriately, be punctual, honest, show interest in the school, be confident, showcase your child’s personality, be prepared for follow-up questions, and stay calm.